|Photo courtesy of F. Schumacher|
An easy way to decide on which fabric to use are the following suggestions:
- Use traditional fabric on traditional pieces (unless you are a skilled designer with loads of experience)
- Large rooms can handle large repeating patterns, smaller rooms can get a great look using fabrics with a great texture
- Solid fabrics will maintain a 'timeless' look
- Use the color on the upholstery to enhance the mood of the room. Warm up the room or cool it down with color (reds, orange, yellows are warm/blues, greens are cool, for instance)
- Tight woven fabrics often last longer and keep their shape better than loose weaves
- Decide if the sofa or chair needs sun resistant fabric
- Will the sofa be used daily or just for company? Durability is key for daily use when selecting fabrics for sofas and chairs
- Use pillows to update or refresh with the change of seasons
- When in doubt go neutral with the sofa fabric - add color and pattern with throws
After all, decorating is supposed to be fun - right?
Stay 'tuned' for the next BestDesignCoach blog post to find out about my Website's list of the most important items to consider when decorating a Home.
M. A. Smith, Ltd.
Allied Member ASID
Serving New Jersey and metropolitan New York