|Photo courtesy of Baker.com|
If I asked you ''What is the hardest thing to choose when you decorate a home?" would you say "paint color"? Many would agree that picking the right paint color is tough to get right. However in my experience, it's furniture selection can be problematic and challenging.
The challenge starts with the overwhelming variety of shapes, sizes, and price points for every type of furniture whether seating, tables or occasional pieces. But the choice is easier when you know the following bits of information, before you head out to your local furniture store:
- Know what size of furniture will fit in the room. Have a floorplan drawn to scale to discover what size of sofa or table will fit, without crowding a traffic zone.
- Determine how much seating you need on a daily basis and what you need for entertaining.
- Decide on what style of furniture suits your lifestyle and taste today. Country French may have been a favorite ten years ago, but your present lifestyle may call for a leaner and more contemporary look.
- List all the pieces you need and specify a budget for each piece.
- Create a folder of furniture styles that appeal to you to refer to when you go shopping. A picture is always worth a thousand words.
- Spend more time than you planned to find furniture. Don't settle because you can't find a certain piece right away. It's there - you just have to find it!
- Let a professional interior designer help you if you are crunched for time. They have the resources to find what you need quickly, saving you time and money in the long run.
M. A. Smith, Ltd.
Allied Member ASID
Serving New Jersey and Metropolitan New York