How successful interior design Projects stay on Track

I'm often asked, when I tell someone I 'm an interior designer -"It must be so much fun doing what you do - right?" My answer will always be yes, but sometimes it's not so much fun. It's not fun when things get bogged down and there's a lag that lasts too long.

What I've witnessed over the years of being in this business, is that when communications become difficult, when there are roadblocks to getting information that you need - things have a tendency to delay progress and all are stuck in a 'gray' area of confusion.

For instance, if I request information and availability on a piece of furniture, and the response is slow to nothing - other portions of the job suffer. If a client doesn't have time to discuss an important aspect of the design or if the contractor is nowhere in site - then, we have a problem.

However, my remedy for all the above is the following:
  • I now only use trades that are readily available to communicate via cell, text, e-mail or in-person.
  • At the beginning of working with a client nowadays, I make sure that we can communicate readily throughout the project in whatever communication mode works for them. Time is of the essence in design and nothing gets done, unless I have approval from my client that it is a 'go'.
I had a boss years' ago who always said at the weekly staff meetings "Why does it have to be so hard?"

Well, it doesn't have to be hard, but you do need willing and able parties on all sides to get the job done. And, in retrospect, I can say my best jobs, my happiest clients were those projects that kept the lines open for all involved. Positive energy, honest and respectful communication is the secret to success - and it's free!

 It's simple, you just have to understand the power of good communication, if you want to get the job done right and on time.

Mary Alice Smith
M. A. Smith, Ltd. Interior Design
Allied Member ASID
732 690-2030

No comments:

Post a Comment