One of the Top 5 Decorating Problems most People Struggle with in Decorating their Homes?

Part III - The Problem of Choosing the Right Color

Last weekend I was at a local paint store picking up paint color samples for a client. A woman next to me asked my opinion on her choice of color for her walls. She had no time to test out samples. This was the moment she had to decide on the color for her Living Room walls.

So, because of my experience with paint colors, I sliced through a decision quickly for her. I picked out a color that I knew would work with her trim color. It was a neutral warm beige that will never go out of style, one that would work with any other accent color in her furnishings.

I could see the struggle and frustration on her face change to relief once she had her choice in hand. But for many, selecting colors for their home can be overwhelming. Color speaks volumes to us, reveals who we are and affects us more than we know. 
My red 'Mary Hartline' dress
Everyone has 'color stories' that show up when they have to make a 'color decision.' Sometimes a person's happy experience with a certain color in childhood, becomes a favorite color thread that repeatedly shows up in their life.

My love of red goes back to my 'Mary Hartline' twirling outfit I wore as a 5 year old or the red roses my Dad planted along our fence. My friend Mary-Jo loves blue because it reminds her of her childhood on the Jersey Shore.
 


Reflect on the colors that appeal to you or that you remark on often. They are a clue on which direction to pursue for colors in your home. The color doesn't have to cover the all walls, it can be an accent color threaded throughout your home.
 
A great solution for choosing colors is to visit a paint store and purchase their large sample sheets. Or, purchase small sample jars of paint and paint two coats on a large 20" x 30" foamcore board. This way you can move the board or sample sheet around the room without messing up your walls.
 
The process above takes the guesswork out of problems with color. Then, you'll be confident to choose the color that will make you smile. 

After all, it's your life and it's a chance to live the kind of 'colorful life' you were meant to live.  

Lesson 3 - Don't worry, be happy by choosing a color that calls to you!

Check back tomorrow for Part IV in the Series on the 5 Top Decorating Problems and their Solutions

M. A. Smith, Ltd.
Interior Design
732 690-2030
masmith729@comcast.net
Allied Member ASID
http://masmithinteriordesign.com
Blog: HouseZenGarden
Serving New Jersey and Metropolitan New

No comments:

Post a Comment