Analysis Paralysis - Why Your Home Decorating Is Going Nowhere


This could be your bathroom!
(Photo courtesy of
Avalon Flooring )
How to Finally Get Your Home Decorating Done

First of all, the good news is that you are reading this post. You're reading it probably because you have all the intentions of giving your home a new look, but somehow nothing gets done.

Life, home, family - everything is calling for your immediate attention. Plans to paint the rooms, find new sofas, rugs or revamp the 90's kitchen and baths are on hold. Days, weeks and months (maybe years) go by and nothing gets done.

Even though I am an interior designer, I am faced with the same dilemma. Truly my clients projects are my first priority during the workweek. There's little time to spend on the updates that are calling for attention in my own home. 

So, you're wondering, how does this designer get out of the Analysis Paralysis roadblock?

Simple - just start with small decisions then action. For instance, here is a portion of the list I used to get our Master Bath renovation started and done:

  1. Create a floor plan to show if the shower area could replace the tub. 
  2. Determine an approximate budget for the project. 
  3. Go to resources like Artistic Tile or Waterworks or Avalon Tile and review tile selections. Select the tile and furnishings for the floor and walls.  (Ok - I'm used to doing this for my clients, so it's easier for me. But I still had to do this).
  4. Go to my local cabinet shop with the tile sample and select the vanity.
  5. Return to the tile or fixture store and place the order the tile, grout, etc. 
What you may notice above is that I use steps to follow that make sense. First, I had to know that a shower could actually fit in the old tub space, before I got too excited about having a zen-like shower to enjoy at the start of my busy days. 

At some point, things will get done when you start the journey. I worked on the floor plan on one day. Another day, I visited the tile store. The point is that it takes action. Thinking about what you want to do is great, but nothing gets done unless you do something, anything!

So, leave Analysis Paralysis behind - start today with just one small thing. Call a friend, call your Mom or call a designer to get the home you've always wanted, the home you deserve to enjoy. 

Call for professional help, for a nudge to get started, for the best year ever:

732 690-2030

M. A. Smith LLC Interior Design
1288 Beauchamps Place, Toms River, NJ 08753
E-mail:  masmith@masmithinteriordesign.com
Allied Member ASID

http://masmithinteriordesign.com
Blog: HouseZenGarden
Blog: BestDesignCoach.com
Serving New Jersey and Metropolitan New York City




No comments:

Post a Comment